Friday, January 4, 2013

Granny Square Afghan

Now that the holidays are over I can finally share the crochet afghan I made for J this year!  I didn't set out to make him a blanket at all, but one thing lead to another.  Originally all I had hoped to do was figure out how to make a granny square and then practice until I got good at them.  Well, I did that and ended up with a pile of granny squares!  No big deal though, I still wanted to learn how to use multiple colors so I continued adding to the pile.

Before I knew it there were enough squares to make a small couch blanket. And then I realized that I had been crocheting with all of J's favourite colors! I'm telling you it was fate!  After getting a nice neutral cream colored yarn for borders and joining, I had a very nice handmade gift.



Voila!  I love how the afghan turned out!



The granny square is so easy to do & looks wonderful.



J was thrilled when he opened it & I'm glad he loves it!

The blanket is six squares by six squares which is just enough for one person to cuddle up with on the couch.  Each granny square is five rounds without the border.  The cream border on each square is simply one round of single crochet.  Once each square had a border I connected the squares in larger squares of four, and then crocheted each four square patch together.  I kept things easy and consistent by using a single crochet to join everything.  To finish it off there are two rounds of single crochet one the outside edge.  Too easy!

This is the first granny square afghan I've done and I'm very pleased with the result.  I've already started another!  Thanks for stopping by!

Happy Scrapping!  Candice

No comments:

Post a Comment